Pages

Friday 18 October 2013

Koi Carp

Hi there fellow card enthusiasts.  Today I am highlighting a card I have made using a lovely Koi Carp from a series of stamps by Sheena Douglass called A Little Bit Oriental.




This is a good sized stamp and amply fills a 6 inch square card, so I decided to keep it quite simple.  I saw this background of circles representing bubbles used by a lady called Miranda who is a design team member for Designs by Ryn so decided to give it a try.

To do this I cut templates from paper using three different sized nesting dies from Xcut making sure to leave plenty of space round the circle to cover the card.  I used them randomly to make a nice shape using a mixture of Adirondack ink in Stonewashed and Memento London Fog just to darken the blue a little.  As my templates were a little flimsy I used the appropriate sized die to cover the edges of the paper and sponged the colour through.  I then layered this on some black card.  I stamped the Koi on a separate piece of card using Memento Tuxedo Black dye ink, coloured it with Promarkers, cut it out, applied it to the background with Pinflair Glue Gel to make it stand out a bit, and lastly added a sentiment.

It's not a technique I have used very often but I hope you agree it makes a simple but effective backdrop to the lovely Carp.

Thank you for looking at my blog today.  
                                                                                                                                                                                                   

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's quite lovely --- The bubbles make a very effective background and the fish looks very happy! M xx

MaryH said...

Love your Koi. Those circles are inspired and really did make me think water bubbles. Was so pleased to see your mention of Ryn's stamps. They are wonderful products & stamp out a very sharp & crisp image on every one that I've been lucky enough to be able to purchase to date. Love them, and love this fabulous card. TFS

Anonymous said...

Well, it's not featured on these pages but---thank you so much, Pat for my Birthday card made using the Koi Carp stamp! Two happy little fish swimming between lily pads----- Can't believe that while we were having a conversation here last evening about how watching a tank full of fish can lower blood pressure and I suggested maybe we should have a portable mini-aquarium to carry around with us, this card (a beautiful portable mini-aquarium!!!!) was sitting on the table in its envelope waiting to be opened this morning! Thank you so much! Love Marilyn. xx

Pat said...

Take a look at my latest post - I think you'll see something you recognise. xx

Anonymous said...

Just popped onto your site to see your latest news-------and lo and behold!---there was my card! Thank you so much---I love it! Marilyn. xx

wienerhoneymooners said...

Love this card, the carp is highlighted so beautifully! Followed on over from Darnell's blog where you are up on a showcase. Welcome to Cardblogland where you ca literally spend your life! LOL.
Have a lovely Day!
-Kimberly